The Harford County Education Association (HCEA) Sick Leave Bank (SLB) is a benefit available to all Harford County teachers who choose to be members. The SLB exists as a safety net for teachers who may encounter catastrophic and incapacitating illnesses and who have exhausted all of their allotted sick and personal business days. The Bank is administered by HCEA and HCPS and is contained in the negotiated agreement. Daily administration of the SLB is the responsibility of the HCEA office staff and the HCEA President. Applications for use of days from the SLB are reviewed by the SLB Committee. This committee consists of HCEA members and HCPS employees.
For information on enrollment into the SLB visit our SLB Q&A’s page.
SLB Review Process
Instructions for Part 1:
- Download and save a copy of the SLB to your device.
- Launch Adobe Acrobat program.
- Select FILE from the header and browse to open the saved SLB form.
- Complete the form with all required information.
- Click the SUBMIT button.
- The Adobe program will auto generate an email to HCEA and HCPS Benefits staff with the completed form as an attachment.
- Click SEND (a copy of the message and attachment will display in your email “Sent” folder).
Instructions for Part 2:
- Open and print the SLB Physician’s form. (2 pages)
- Provide the form to your physician to complete all required information fields.
- Submit the completed Physician’s forms to HCEA via the following
- Scan completed forms and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail originals to Harford County Education Association2107 Laurel Bush Road – Suite 201
- Bel Air, MD 21015
SLB applications received by HCEA staff will be processed and given to the SLB committee for review. Incomplete or improperly completed applications will not be reviewed by the committee. The HCEA office will call the applicant to inform of the incomplete nature. Thus, it is advisable that the applicant keep a photo copy on hand, in order to attempt to have corrections made as soon as possible. Once the SLB committee has reviewed and made a decision on the request an HCEA staff member will inform the applicant.
If you are in need of days from the SLB print and carefully review this Sick Leave Bank Form 1 & Sick Leave Bank Physician Form 2 . For SLB meeting days click here. Visit our SLB Q&A’s page for more information.
The rules and regulations governing the SLB are reviewed periodically. Changes may be made as deemed necessary to maintain both the benefit to members and the integrity of the SLB. HCEA and HCPS are committed to implementing and administering the SLB with great care. We will work to ensure that only those who truly fit the requirements are granted days and that the integrity of the Bank is maintained.